Pages

Sunday, January 4

Sustainable & D.I.Y. Christmas Decorating



When Chris and I found out that we were not going to be able to make it home to Oregon for Christmas this year, Chris turned to me and said "you can decorate if you want, I know you have always wanted to do that."  Isn't he such a sweet man!  
So, of course, I browsed Pinterest for some inexpensive, sustainable, diy Christmas decoration ideas.  Here is what we came up with!

The Tree


We decided we didn't want a traditional tree, so we set out to find our own wood to create an abstract, artsy tree.  Chris helped saw the pieces to the appropriate lengths.



Pause for a sword fight



We laid the sticks out on the ground how we wanted them, then I took brown twine and tied the sticks together.  (I tied each side, instead of down the middle, to make it more stable)


Ta Da!!!

The Ornaments



I found a cinnamon-salt dough recipe on Pinterest.  It didn't quite dry out the way I expected, so I ended up throwing it in the oven at 250 for a bit to finish it off.  After that they were very firm and held their shape well.  It also made the house smell amazing!



Once they were dry I got to work decorating them.  I used basic acrylic craft paint.  I started with a base layer color, let it dry, then decorated with words and designs in white.  To finish it off I dusted the designs with sprinkles before they dried for an added pop.



Tree + Lights + Ornaments



We attached the ornaments with brown sewing thread



Chris was being a slight turd and was complaining about having to tie all the ornaments, as well as, the glitter.  Such a boy.



Other Fun Stuff


Stockings I made last year


This part was not so sustainable....  I bought glittered red and gold globe ornaments and glass vases from the Dollar Tree for the centerpiece.  
I did, however, put them on some wood chunks I found in Chris' stash.  Then quickly sewed up the edges of some leftover material for a matt.  (Props to Cindy for making the green runner bow)


When Cindy and I were shopping on Black Friday we found some Christmas material at Joanns.  I bought some foam board from the Dollar tree and wrapped it in the material for the wall treatment.  We also found a stick wreath and wrapped it in coordinating ribbon.

Not pictured - I took some of our old glass jars from the cupboard and sprayed adhesive on the inside then coated with chunky gold sparkles for candle holders.  They look so awesome with a tea light flickering inside, ads a nice glow to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment