Pages

Monday, May 21

Playing Catch Up!

Bonjour!  Ok so we took the Michigan trip the second weekend of April...and today is May 22.  So needless to say I have some catching up to do!  What in the world have Mr. and Mrs. Roth been up to?  Well let me tell you!

Christopher

Chris has been getting to know all athletes and administrative staff at SIU.  As I have mentioned before he is the head strength coach for the men's and women's swimming and diving teams, and assistant football and basketball coach.  He will also be taking on women's tennis this upcoming year.  He has had great success so far with the swim teams.  They all really like him and the coaches are already singing his praises.  After only being there for three weeks he was invited to their end of the year awards banquet where multiple swimmers and the coach gave him a shout out and just raved about how excited they were to have him on board.  He has already increased everyone's numbers and has them revved up and excited for summer and fall training.  I can completely understand, because his passion is simply overwhelming and one can't help but jump on board.

The football and basketball teams are also impressed by his knowledge and lifting skills.  It is so fun for me to watch them be amazed at how much weight he lifts!  Speaking of his lifting, he has been avidly training for strongman.  He is planning on driving up to a competition close to Chicago the first weekend of June.  He has decided that he is going to pursue strongman whole heartedly and is hoping to qualify for nationals in October.


SIU Strength Room

Since school just got out the athletes have the month of May off before starting training again in June.  So Chris is only working half days right now and hitting his training hard.  He is planning on starting a class this summer as well as coach high school lifting camps.

Rachel

Well since I have been here I have done quite a bit of thinking and pondering about life and what I want to do.  I considered pursuing a summer coaching job for a small summer league club, but decided that teaching new swimmers how to swim was not quite where I wanted my coaching career to go, so I declined that opportunity.  I am really passionate about helping people in some way and I have always had an inkling toward academic counseling.  So I started gathering information and have officially decided I am going to pursue my masters degree in education psychology with an option in school counseling.  Wait, what?!?! Haha I know many of you are wondering where that came from since I have been singing the Event Planner song for so long.  Well I had the wonderful opportunity to do event planning in Corvallis for a few years for the City and I had a wonderful time with it, but now I want to conquer something else. So back to school I go!

So my new life plan is to volunteer in the academic counseling office in the athletic department this summer and fall, and hopefully start Spring semester 2013.  I am really excited about doing the volunteer work in the office because I have befriended one of the Graduate Assistants there and she totally rocks!  My first friend in Carbondale :-)

The story doesn't end there my friends!  I have stayed true to my desire to work in the service industry and I landed a rockstar job!  Thanks to Clete I now work at Pinch Penny Pub & Liquor as a waitress.  Oh my goodness I am having a blast!  It is a busy, fast-paced place and every night is a little different.  They have an indoor restaurant and bar, and an outside beer garden with a stage for live music every weekend.  I have successfully completed my training and now have my own shifts.  I love everything about it except I am having a little difficulty adapting to the schedule.  Most nights I don't start work until 9:00 pm and get off at 2:45am!!!  For someone who has been getting up between 5:30 and 6:30am consistently for the past 5 years, the transition is a little rough!  Luckily I work at least one day shift every week and I have a few days off so I get to recover.


Lastly, I gave in to the chlorine once again.  The pool was calling my name, and I resisted for a long time, but alas I am yet again diving into the pool early in the morning.  (Only twice a week due to my work schedule and level of desire) I joined the local masters group and it has actually been really refreshing to get back into it.  The coach is awesome!  I may even do a swim meet this summer for fun :-)  Once swimming gets in your blood it is like a nagging disease that you can never truly be rid of.

Ok so now that you are up to speed, I can do a post on our recent festivities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment